Criminal Defense Lawyer for White Collar Crime
The world of white collar crime is widespread and rarely understood and can include many things like ponzi schemes, embezzlement and money laundering. If you’ve been charged with committing one of the many types of criminal activity that fall under this umbrella, it’s important to have an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side throughout the process. Here are some of the basics that you need to know going in.
Types of White Collar Crimes: Many types of these crimes are fraud, which usually has to do with deceitful action done for financial gain. Here are a few of the types of actions that this umbrella area of crime covers.
- Securities Fraud: This has to do with fraud involved with securities trading, including stocks. Insider trading is a common type of this, which happens when someone with privileged information about a company uses it illegally to their financial gain, such as selling their stocks when they know before the public that the company is about to lose money. Securities fraud is also found when an individual attempts to lure investments by falsely spinning the financial state of a company.
- Ponzi schemes and other types of business scams happen on all levels of the business world, in which companies or individuals take money from investors illegally. In addition, insurance and mortgage fraud are also white collar crimes, because they involve deceit for financial gain.
- Embezzlement if a trusted official of an organization uses their position to gain money; this is another type of white collar crime. This can be done from within a company or group, or through an advisor who uses client funds in ways that are not authorized or properly approved.
- Money Laundering: This happens where illegally obtained money, for our purposes ‘dirty money’ is transferred through a number of transactions to make it appear as if it was legitimately obtained or ‘clean’ money. It is then mixed with regular money and makes it far more difficult to track by law enforcement.
- Tax Evasion: When the individual involved works but does not pay the taxes they owe to the government, this is known as criminal tax evasion. This can mean anything from incorrectly filling out tax forms to transferring property illegally.
- Many Others: Other types of white collar crimes include extortion, grand larceny, selling of untaxed cigarettes, tampering with public records, issuing a bad check, perjury, gambling crimes, and many others. For a full list, see the ‘white collar crime’ segment of my website.
If you have been accused of committing any of the above types of criminal activity, it is imperative that you get an experienced defense attorney on your side as soon as possible. These types of charges are treated seriously by both state and federal courts. Thus, they require a diligent and experienced defense.
At Yampaglia Law, you can rely on long history of success and a personalized level of expertise on legal matters. We are your trusted legal team for trusted advice as well as legal representation. One of our top tenets of service to clients is the belief that desired results can also be achieved without time-consuming and costly litigation in the courts. We review all options with clients and hope that you’ll contact us. Get started by clicking the blue button below!
Frequently lawyers or attorneys forget that they are employed by the client and work for the client. The legal team at Yampaglia Law understands that you are the boss. Your request for assistance, advice and updates are always responded to in a timely manner. If you cannot come to one of our offices or are unable to travel, we will come to you.
The main office of Yampaglia Law is in Rutherford, NJ. Our firm has additional offices throughout North Jersey and serves all of the state through our attorney network. Contact us for a meeting in our office or we will gladly meet you at your home or any other convenient location. We also gladly do consultations by phone.